Max Henkart, Optics Consultant and Owner of Commonlands LLC, presents the “12+ Image Quality Attributes that Impact Computer Vision” tutorial at the May 2022 Embedded Vision Summit.
In this presentation, Henkart introduces key image quality metrics. He discusses how they impact the performance of geometric and CNN-based methods, along with providing key performance indicators (KPIs) and real-world examples to answer the following questions:
- Exposure: How does improper exposure impact your computer vision algorithms?
- Dynamic range: What is the difference between dynamic range and exposure? What’s the difference between HDR vs. WDR?
- Motion Blur: When does my camera hardware create motion artifacts?
- Resolution and Texture: How do the four types of resolution differ and degrade performance?
- Color and Shading: When does color influence computer vision performance?
- Noise: What are the different types of noise in my system and how do they impact performance?
- Image Artifacts: How do stray light, blemishes and fringing lead to edge cases?
See here for a PDF of the slides.