“90% of Tech Start-Ups Fail. What the Other 10% Know,” a Presentation from Connected Vision Advisors

Simon Morris, Executive Advisor at Connected Vision Advisors, presents the “90% of Tech Start-Ups Fail. What Do the Other 10% Know?” tutorial at the May 2023 Embedded Vision Summit.

Morris is fortunate to have led three tech start-ups with three successful exits. He received a lot of advice along the way from venture investors, co-founders, colleagues, competitors, customers and other tech entrepreneurs. He has always been fascinated by the success and failure stories of businesses in general, and tech start-ups in particular. What are the common factors that lead some to succeed while most fail?

In this talk, Morris explores the most important success factors, with a focus on the last decade of computer vision and edge AI start-ups. His own experiences as well what he has learned from others suggests that the most important success factors include a very clear understanding of the target customer and market need; a clear-eyed quantification of both the value that the solution brings to customers and its differentiation vs. competitors; a robust go-to-market strategy that can achieve repeatable and scalable growth; and a strong, diverse leadership team.

See here for a PDF of the slides.

Here you’ll find a wealth of practical technical insights and expert advice to help you bring AI and visual intelligence into your products without flying blind.



1646 N. California Blvd.,
Suite 360
Walnut Creek, CA 94596 USA

Phone: +1 (925) 954-1411
Scroll to Top